2003 G500 won't start

8 replies [Last post]
upgreyhound.844
upgreyhound.844's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi everybody,

got in my truck yesterday, turn the key and nothing happened ; no crank, nothing. I know i still have power because everything else was normal ; radio, power window, etc... Even with a boost, nothing happened, still not cranking ... What should i expect as a diagnostic from my dealer ?

Thank you - Marc

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture
Re: 2003 G500 won't start

Sounds like it wants a new battery, it is possible that its still on its factory one?

Radio etc does not take much power to run at all, so can fool you.

I wouldn't trust a boost pack to be up to starting that also....

The 500's can be quite tempremental with batteries and show no signs before failing like you would expect.

They also need to be tip top to even crank it...

I would try given it a good long charge or swopping for a know good battery, or if it has been on the truck for a long time, try a new one anyway, if its older than 5 years it has done its job, it will need replacing sooner rather than later anyway.

MB batteries are not scary prices, £100 should sort it out, maybe a little less if you have a deal.

Well worth the money compared to a £65-£70 after market one, IMHO even better than most of the Bosch and Varta ranges sold through factors anyway.

It is not uncommon for the factory battery to last 7+ years from new

Gav

upgreyhound.844

Thank you Gav .

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

I agree with Gav, the battery is the most obvious place to start. Only one point, when a modern battery comes to the end of its life it dies inherently, there is no power left in it. One reason, either by design or an accidental feature is to avoid cranking an engine with a KAT to be flooded with raw fuel which kills the KAT.

Without knowing the fault code, pure conjecture; depending on the type of ignition circuitry you have.

Possibly the infra red ring around the ignition barrel may have failed, not sending any starting signal to starter motor.

upgreyhound.844

Thank you 

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

If the battery is not the problem, it could be a crank sensor. I had this issue about a year ago, it prevents the whole engine turning over, and will require a replacement. Its there as an additional level of 'insurance' as the G500's are so awesome and powerful, it prevents the crank coming out of misalignment.  

Where are you based and can you post up a picture of you truck? 2003 G500 nice :)

Spider1V

upgreyhound.844

Hi Spider1V,

thank you for the advice. Regarding the pictures, i am still a dinosaur in that field, since it is not my generation, i still have to learn how to send you some. Nevertheless, if you have Google Earth and enter : 101 Amherst, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada , the truck is in the backyard since i was visiting my friend when Google took the picture.

I am based in the city of Hull ( now Gatineau ) in the province of Quebec, Canada.

Thank you - Marc

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Nice truck, took a while to find it - only a little walk. smiley

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Nice silver colour! smiley

Spider1V