1990 460 230GE

9 replies [Last post]
hmt
hmt's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi to all from G Wagen newby hmt.

Smitten after driving G500 in Beijing of all places. Now looking seriously at 1990 GE230 manual 130k miles with full MBSH £6.5k currently on ebay. Awaiting HPI vehicle inspection ( I am abroad until Christmas). Pictures do look great but it's had a respray. Should I be worried by this ?

Also starting to get cold feet and wondering if a Jap double cab is a safer option for rural Gloucestershire although I do realise I may get mistakenly shot as a pikey - which is virtually legal around these parts. Won't be using it very much, just something different as I approach semi retirement. Please will someone talk me out of this madness ?  

prwales
prwales's picture
Re: 1990 460 230GE
IanA2
IanA2's picture

If it is as described, it seems very well priced. Are they a bit thirsty?

IanA2
IanA2's picture

Duplicate

prwales
prwales's picture

looks ok to me 16" alloys no spats so no rust issues there, rear door is questionable and the seats need a tidy but not bad at all

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi All

not the white one with the heavy rust on the seatbases

the black one declared as recently resprayed available in Luton ( first advert ) now in  Edmonton

IanA2
IanA2's picture

This one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-G-WAGON-PERFECT-CONDITION-/2812099718...

My tuppence worth.

The seller is a dealer, however it's presented (imho) rather as if it's a private sale.

Only rather superficial external pics and very brief description

Maybe it's a fine car, and it doesn't seem to be too overpriced. I guess it needs to be looked over carefully.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

fits the description better!

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

hmt wrote:

Hi to all from G Wagen newby hmt.

Smitten after driving G500 in Beijing of all places. Now looking seriously at 1990 GE230 manual 130k miles with full MBSH £6.5k currently on ebay. Awaiting HPI vehicle inspection ( I am abroad until Christmas). Pictures do look great but it's had a respray. Should I be worried by this ?

Also starting to get cold feet and wondering if a Jap double cab is a safer option for rural Gloucestershire although I do realise I may get mistakenly shot as a pikey - which is virtually legal around these parts. Won't be using it very much, just something different as I approach semi retirement. Please will someone talk me out of this madness ?  

hmt,

A500 in Beijing? Now that is nice! Re the 230, will be a bit slower than the 500 mind you, but a very capable truck non the less. My advice would be to do as much research as you can starting with the VIN number and post it up hear and one of our technical guys can at least do a spec check for you, which is a start.

If you want to beef up the power all the rage is a diesel conversion to a 60X version, which would be very expensive as the GE refers to petrol and GD to diesel. Be careful out there as there are some unscrupulous people who will take a large amounts of money claiming all sorts of things and at best they are just below average, though there are also some spectacular successful conversions as well. My advice would be to share as much as you can, and you will tend to find some interesting bits of advice either posted on the forum or via PM, its a great association with a wealth of knowledge. 

Try to control the 'G Fever' cheeky and I am afraid there is no talking you out of it now you have asked the question LOL. The best one tends to be the one you spend time doing checks and background work on, identifying the right team to do any work you think is needed. General points of G ownership can be found doing a simple search, here on the forum.

Other than that, feel free to ask any questions you may have, experiences you may wish to find out about G ownership and above all have and share in the fun!

Spider1V
Southern Area Rep.
prwales
prwales's picture

what about this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301030756605?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_848wt_1030

it lives in Cornwall so far less salt on the winter roads than further north, can run on vegetable oil too