Howto: Upgrading 460 to support headlight leveling option and 463 H4 headlight fittings

No replies
fcp
fcp's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

With one of my headlights cracked recently (why do they always fill with water so quickly!?), I decided to take the plunge and switch out to the newer clear glass 463 style which was used between the late 2002 and 2006(? ). The have the advantage of H4 bulbs and around 40% more ligth than the round bulb style fitted to my G originally.

Although the new lamps fit perfectly, the frames (that allow for adjustment) from the new lights don't fit the old style 460 buckets as although the mounting points lineup, the leveling motors that are an option the 463 require an additional cutout and grommet fitted to the lighting bucket.

One solution is to simply switch the new frames to for the old steel ones.. a drop in replacement. In my case though, I fancied trying the upgrade on Klau's site www.gwagen.de/html/english/lwr.html to add in electronic control (my truck is converted to a 2 seater van and often I have a load in the back).

Klaus does a great job of exp[laining the upgrade and it all works as advertised. I had to file a few mm from the frames to accomodate the precise model of VW motor I had - see pics (once done, the motors just clipped right in though asthey all seem to use a standard mount)  I also  needed to file the end from the motor mount to accomodate the G's adjustment arm (parts below).  All in all sorting this out was 15 mins work.

The challenge was then modifying the shells to make room for the motors. One option was to drill out the spot welds and then purchase the buckets with the cutouts. They are available (I don't have a part number to hand, but EPC will have them) and this would work fine.

The alternative was to attempt to cutout the clearance for the motors.. I figured that since the fallback was to buy new buckets anyway, I might as welll attempt this first.

In the end, it proved riduculously easy to actually replicate the factory arrangements precisely. To do this, you need to purchase the appropriate rubber grommets (again below) and have access to / buy a 83mm holesaw that is rated for mild steel (I would strongly reccomend a new one, they aren't expensive, but do dull quickly).

The pictures are self explanatory I think. Usual 'measure twice, cut once' definitely applies here, go slow, take regular breakes ever few seconds to allow the saw to cool-off (or use a cutting spray as I did).

The end result is an 83mm hole in precisely ther same place that the factory buckets have one. The grommet fits this precisely, the lamp in the new frame then screws into the existing mounting holes.. total time, including wiring 4 hours, everyone is a winner!

Parts (see Klaus site for electronics side)
A4638200059 Headlight assembly x2 (around £90 a side)
A0008050115 Pin (lighting adjuster) x2
A0008050090 Cap (lightin adjuster) x2
A4609975681 Shell grommet (around £35 a side)

83mm hole saw  suitable for steel
cutting fluid (recommended)
*patience*

Login or register to view attached files